Monday, October 11, 2010

Is virus even the right term?

I just (belatedly I know for the rest of the security industry, but I tend not to read things daily, but rather I batch my news so I get it a bit later then everyone else!) read about Stuxnet. The malware I mentioned a couple of months ago is the same thing, but now I have a name! This is some seriously impressive software. For those of you that don't know this has been linked to all kinds of conspiracy theories, from the US government writing it to sabotage Iranian nuclear power plants, right through to Israeli's attacking their neighbours. The best technical explanation I've found is over at Symantec or for an overview check out Schneier's blog. Whichever way you cut it, if you don't understand the technical breakdown, or simply can't be bothered reading it, trust me when I say it's a whole new level of malware. It's quite literally malware done right, and every single component of this thing has had a LOT of thought put into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment